How To Become a Participating Landlord

1.  Find a Tenant

A tenant may approach you with a Voucher or you can list your available unit/s for our tenants to view.

2.  Approve the Tenant

Even though a family is determined by the Kendall Housing Authority to be eligible for the program, the owner must approve the family as a suitable renter. The KHA knows that the owner has approved the family when a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) form is submitted to our office. A tenant that is eligible to move will have this form available for the owner.

3.  Tenancy and Unit Approval by KHA

After a family finds a suitable unit and the owner approves the tenant, the KHA needs to perform a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection. If the unit does not pass inspection, a reasonable time will be given to make the required repairs, if applicable.

4.  Contract and Leases

Once a unit passes the HQS inspection and meets program requirements, the tenancy can be approved. The owner and tenant will then enter into a lease together and the KHA will enter into a Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contract with the owner.

After the HAP contract and lease are signed the KHA will make payments to the owner as long as the family continues to meet eligibility criteria and the housing unit qualifies under the program regulations.

If you are interested in listing your units, the KHA works with to provide HCV families with owner names and general information about available rental unit(s). Any interested families will then contact you for an appointment to see your housing unit(s). The Kendall Housing Authority does not steer families to specific owners or rental units, but we will provide families with information on units that are available.